Skip to main content

Cai and the Devil in the Deep, Dark Woods

Hey, remember when I worked as a movie theater projectionist? I had embarrassing amounts of free time in which to read, watch trailers, pace, or write and illustrate stories on notebook paper.

Never mind the illustrations, but here's a story I wrote when I should have been working.

Cai and the Devil in the Deep, Dark Woods

A girl named Cai was walking home through the woods late one night. The woods were deep. The woods were dark. But she was a brave girl and unafraid. She did not know that just up ahead, the Devil was lying in wait.

He appeared to her in the shape of a man, beautiful and naked. He said:

"Won't you take some tea with me
"In my home beneath the earth?
"A life lived alone is a life without worth,
"So won't you come and be with me?"

But Cai was clever as well as brave. She knew that the Devil was in the woods at night. And that he was always hungry. And that he liked to eat little girls. So she said:

"No, I will not go with you.
"Beg and beg to no avail.
"I know you are the Devil, sir,
"For between your legs is a devil's tail."

With that she was on her way.

The Devil was greatly angered by this. So angered was he that he cut off his tail. And he ate it. Yet still, he was hungry.

He tried again. He appeared to Cai in the shape of a woman, beautiful and naked. He said:

"Won't you take some tea with me,
"In my home beneath the earth?
"A life lived alone is a life without worth,
"So won't you come and be with me?"

But clever Cai recognized him and slyly she said:

"No, I will not go with you.
"Beg and beg, I'll stay aloof.
"I know you are the Devil, ma'am,
"For between your legs is a devil's hoof."

With that she was on her way.

The Devil was greatly angered by this. So angered was he that he cut off his hoof. And he ate it. Yet still, he was hungry.

He tried once more. As Cai neared home, he appeared to her in a genderless shape, beautiful and naked. He said:

"Won't you take some tea with me,
"In my home beneath the earth?
"A life lived alone is a life without worth,
"So won't you come and be with me?"

But Cai still knew him. And still she would not go. Once more she told him so.

Then the Devil demanded

"Where was your proof?
"I've cut off my tail and I've cut off my hoof."

Cai calmly replied

"I've known from the start,
"The deep desire of your dark heart.
"You can't deceive me, though you have tried.
"Your heart is the part that you could never hide."

With that she finally found her way home.

The Devil was furious. He raved and he roared. And he cut out his heart. And he ate it. But his heart was black and not fit to eat. It caught in his throat and he choked. So there, that night in the deep, dark woods, the Devil died alone.

Safe in bed, Cai slept and dreamed of far more pleasant things.




Comments

  1. if this is what your brain produces in snatches of time and in between moments, i would very much like to see what you could produce if we locked in you alone in a room for a few decades.
    Do you like Angela Carter? I would recommend "The Bloody Chamber," if you haven't read it.
    and if you have, **** you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm tempted to lie and avoid those asterisks, but I have indeed read "The Bloody Chamber." We had to get it for one of my contemporary literature classes in college. I enjoyed it at the time, but I bet I'd really, really enjoy it now. I need to try and dig it out again. I know I have it somewhere.

    Have you seen Neil Jordan's "Company of Wolves" movie? It's based on one of her short stories (and I think she wrote the screenplay). It doesn't all work, but it has some amazing images and is overall totally worthwhile (says I).

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I also would like to lock myself in a room for an extended period of time. I'm too lazy, self-concious and easily distracted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh, well If you want it I cam bring it to you, although i still want you to give "The Ecstatic" a try.I was going to bring it last Friday but the ice blizzard had other ideas.
    I have not seen the film adaptation, although Will is trying to convince me I was over the night you guys saw it. I think he is just trying to convince me I'm losing it, for what motives i know not. Anyway, its on my list of things to see. The Shinning is next, however.

    I'm pretty sure those adjectives can be applied to most creative people. You think you're unique in your dysfunction? well think again buster!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Way Station: A Christmas Story by Luke Piotrowski

Madsen Morrow was eight years old the first time she met Santa Claus. She’d come downstairs to investigate a noise (sofa legs scratching on the floor as if shoved) that seemed to have come from the living room. It was empty when she got there; stockings hung, tree sparkling, fire burning low. “Well, that’s strange,” she thought and said out loud. This is was what characters on television did when they were by themselves. Madsen was very fond of television and watched it as often as possible. She was about to head back upstairs and into bed when she heard a new sound; a humming sound, coming from down the hall. “Ah-ha,” she said (this also from television). It was the toilet fan humming. Someone was inside if the light from the crack beneath the door could be trusted. “Who’s there?” she demanded. The light and fan went off at once. “It’s too late for that. You’d have done better not to turn everything off. Then maybe I’d have figured that dad or someone had forgotten.” She sighed.

St. Patrick's Purgatory

By the way, if you're wondering how this month's story is holiday related, "Saint Patrick's Purgatory" is a real cave in Ireland where it's said that Saint Patrick heard voices and had visions. Since then, it's been a popular site for religious pilgrimages.

Marli

River woke to the sound of the boys in the trees. She woke slowly, her eyes closed. Gray to pink, backlit by the sun. She’d slept long. “What time is it?” Nothing. “Rain?” The creak of the door. The smell of soap and fresh, wet skin. River kept her eyes closed. “Rain?” “You’re still in bed? Get up already. You’ll be late for school.” “They’re early.” “They’re always early. Eager beavers.” “Huh?” “You’ve never heard that before. 'Eager beaver.' 'Eager as a beaver' or whatever.” “Beavers are eager?” “I don’t know, River. It’s just a saying.” “But beavers aren’t eager.” “Yeah, but it rhymes.” “No it doesn’t.” “Don’t start. You know what I mean. Anyway, they’re always early. Every year.” “I never noticed.” “Yeah, well I did. And they are.” “I guess it never mattered before.” “Not to you, I suppose, no.” A pause. “So. You excited?” “Uhm. Something. I’m something.” “Does that mean that you’re going to get out of bed?” A pause. “I th